Stella the upright Steinway

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:44:21 EDT

Greetings,
   Hmm,  I'm looking for some general consensus on a price.  10 years ago, I
bought a 1892 upright Steinway and restrung it, (3/0 pins and they all feel
great), repaired the board and bridges, repinned the action and put in new
hammers, dampers, capstan felt, keybushings, frame cloth,etc.  In short, we did
everything short of replacing the wooden action parts.   It is verdigris free and
plays well.  Very nice original ivory keys, and a refinishing job that looks
near mint.
   It has been rented for $2,000 per year for the last 8 years and now its
time to sell it, (son's tuition has finally arrived, which was the reason we
have been holding our Steinways all these years).
   The present renter has been asking to purchase the piano for several
years, and I wonder if the list would be able to tell me what pianos like this have
been fetching around the country?  I haven't seen a comparable upright sold
around here in so long, I haven't a clue.  What's been some prices gotten for
these things?????
Thanks,

Ed Foote RPT