Action Rail Hole Spacing

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:22:55 -0800

I guess the question is "the precision with which one is to do the work." Or,
more appropriately, "the precision with which the work was originally done."
These scales were laid out on paper tacked to a solid wood panel. True, the wood
panel would have had stiffeners screwed, not glued, to the bottom side. But,
still....

The spacing would not have been developed mathematically but by the use of a
layout fan as illustrated in the attached drawing. The two end points would have
been marked off along the hammer strike line with a pencil line and/or a
pin-prick and the layout fan would have been arranged across until the
appropriate (as determined by the eye of the designer) spacing was achieved.
Then the appropriate points would have been pin-pricked through and the points
drawn in by hand with pen and ink.

Precision even to the width of a pen or pencil line is beyond what most of the
early piano designers and builders would have achieved. Or even attempted.

Del
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Designer & Builder
512 Hanna Avenue