Let-off question

Wed, 21 Apr 2004 23:22:41 +0200

John Ross wrote:

>Hi Ric,
>I put the hammers on myself.
>The hammers were bored at Wally's, using the measurements I gave him. String
>height and hammer flange centre pin height.
>This was on a piano, that someone had previously replaced the hammers on,
>and the piano had lost, its volume, and gutsy sound.
>The Abel Hammers, and Renner shanks from Wally, did the trick. The volume
>and power are back up.

Then the bore length is probably very useable you'd think. Wally knows
his stuff from what I hear.

>The drop screw is probably the problem, my question should have told me. I
>had just done the rough on the drop screws, and they looked like they were
>almost burying. I was going back tomorrow, as I had just finished the
>install and rough regulation, yesterday.

Burying eh ? How worn is the leather on top of the whippen ? In anycase
sounds like you got your mind jogged by the others who replied and have
your solution.

>Funny how the mind forgets things at the end of a long day.

Grin.. I hear you !

>I certainly prefer working from origional parts, and not having to figure
>out anew, how things should be.

Yes, but a now and then huckleberry trip into the blue is fun now and
then as well. Keeps you on your toes eh ?

>Oh well, he got the concert grand Heintzman for a song, as the last owner
>couldn't get anyone to get it to work right, with the wrong hammers, and
>wrong boring, on the original shanks, that someone had done.
>He really likes the sound now, and will like it even better, when the
>regulation is completely done.
>
>Thank you all, for getting my brain cells working again.
>Now I know why I like going to the Conventions, it keeps the info in my
>brain from, fragmenting. A nice Convention defrag, works wonders.
>I hope to see a lot of you 'list members', in Nashville. The time is getting
>closer.
>Is there going to be a little get together for list members, as we had in
>Arlington?
>We should start the planning now.

I sure wish I could be there, but I am off to Japan for a summer of
factory work. Nashville woulda been lots of fun. Fun town.

>Best regards,
>John M. Ross

Cheers John
RicB