String seating again

Mon, 19 Apr 2004 20:06:43 +0200

List

Thought as long as I had this coffee spill damaged Bluther on the bench
I'd check a few things relative to the never ending string seating debate.

This is what I found.

The string marks on this cap were quite uniform across the hole width of
the bridge. Very slight indentation perhaps a 10th of the diameter of a
string.... maybe less. The piano is 15-20 years old with lots of use.
Bridge is not finished with any form of laquer and our seasonal inside
RH range here is about 25 % in winter to 70 % in summer. (right now we
are at around 35% and on the rise) Plenty of crown, and bearing is
measureable, and... you got it.... the strings need seating.

Cheers
RicB