Analysis of plain wire string/wound wire break on aSteinwayModel Bwith MiniMens 1.0.6

Bernhard Stopper b98tu@t-online.de
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 00:21:21 +0200

------=_NextPart_001_0008_01C425A4.3E027830
Dear Stephane,

After i entered the string measures that you sent me, MiniMens reports =
clearly that this a problematic string length/diameter setting. The =
Longitudinal wave matches very close  the 13. transversal partial, what =
results in a strong resonance effect. (speaking length 1058 mm, 0,975, =
plain wire, copper 0,5 mm)

The three pointers in the "Longitudinal Freq." meter representing the =
first 3 longitudinal partials in the transversal partial spectrum =
(represented by the meters scale, transversal partials reported from =
partial Nr. 12-48, the first longitudinal partial has a frequency of =
1290 Hz.=20
The meter indicates, that the longitudinal partial matches slightly =
above the 13. transversal partial.

Physically, longitudinal partials near to Odd transversal partials =
produce a strong resonance with 2 times the frequency of the odd =
transversal partial, what means in this example, the 1. longitudinal =
partial has a resonance with the 26. transversal partial. Due to =
inharmonicity of the 26. partial, this occurs if the frequency of the =
longitdunal partial is slightly above the 13. transversal partial.

In the sound simulation produced by the MiniMens Simulator one can =
clearly here the whistling produced by the longitudinal resonance.

listen to the sound by clicking the link:
http://www.piano-stopper.de/dl/Kawai_G23_0,975_0,5.wav

a solution would be to change the diameters to 1,0 mm for the core wire =
and 0,475 mm for the copper diameter.
(inharmonicity must be checked with the neighbour keys)
what would sound like this:

http://www.piano-stopper.de/dl/Kawai_G23_1,0_0,475.wav

Regards,

Bernhard Stopper