Hantavirus- Demousification

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 11:02:29 -0700 (PDT)

> > Hi Thump,
> >
> > Have you experience with such massive rust
> deposits? Or is this just a
> > "best guess"? Inquiring minds want to know.

    Yes, I have had this experience. Mice got into one
of the pianos I use to perform on, so I hauled out the
keys and wiped down the keybed, keys, etc., with
Clorox, wiped with a freshwater cloth, let dry and
re-assembled. A couple of  months later, every ferrous
surface in the piano was encrusted with thick rust.
     Chlorine is very reactive, and bonds with many
other elements. Then it leaches back out of the wood
as a gas and enhances oxidation.
     Thump