Custom Made Hammers & New Ronsen Wurzen hammers

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 12:20:40 +0200

On 18-apr-04, at 4:13, Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/17/2004 8:15:27 AM Pacific Standard Time,=20
> Erwinspiano writes:
> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Ric.
> =A0=A0Nice looking hammers & great Wurzen felt.
>  =A0Speaking of custom made hammers. I'd like to announce that Ray=20
> Negron at Ronsen piano hammer=A0is now making Hammers with the=20
> famous=A0"Wurzen" felt. I'm just wrapping up a 9ft Knabe action with=20=

> these hammers =A0& they are=A0really good. Minimal voicing & wonderful=20=

> color. Lots of felt over the molding. I highly recommend=A0giving =
these=20
> a try. This=A0hammer is a great compliment=A0 to the Ronsen line which=20=

> also includes the=A0German=A0V.F.G (Abel=A0 felt)=A0& Bacon company =
felts. Its=20
> nice to have selection
> =A0 This is happening because of the efforts of several people but=20
> primarily Andres Oorebeck (alias Antares!) In assisting in the=20
> procurement of the felt & Rays willingness to try new things for an=20
> even =A0better product=A0Thanks Andre.
> =A0=A0Ray =A0just got a new shipment of felt so.....Get yours now at=20=

> Ray@ronsen-hammer.com
> =A0 Dale Erwin

Hi Dale and list,

I am glad that Ray Negron now can supply you guys with the famous=20
Wurzen felt.
If I am correct, he can supply customers with the latest and finest=20
quality, which actually brings us back to the early 1900's, when the=20
same felt quality was sold under the name Weickert Filz.
The Wurzen felt as it is now called, is so special because of the so=20
called "fulling' process, which means that the fibers have gone through=20=

several 'interlocking' stages.
This is normal in the felt industry, except that the maker of the=20
Wurzen felt has found a way to make the fullin/interlocking process=20
more complete, resulting in a very fine hammer felt of which the=20
fabrication process is 100% controlled to the end.
Because of the maximal fulling process, It has acquired a natural=20
density and that is the strength and beauty of it. Other felt makers=20
have not (yet) been able to reach this natural density and they=20
compensate for this with extra pressing the felt mass to get density.=20
This gives another tone because the felt does not have the same natural=20=

resilience the Wurzen does.
The way a hammer sounds also depends on the hammer maker. Pre-pressing=20=

the felt for an extended time makes it easier for the hammer maker to=20
glue the felt and the under felt, but it damages the inner layers=20
severely. Pre-pressing should therefor be limited as much as possible.=20=

Cold pressing the felt is the very best, as excess heat also has a=20
damaging influence, but cold pressing felt is un-economical for the=20
hammer maker because it takes more gluing time, and in business, time=20
is money.
Also, the hammer maker can make hammers harder by adding more pressure.=20=

For people who work very much with hammers, like voicing technicians,=20
the hardness of the pressed felt is rather important. Needling the=20
older Royal George Yamaha hammers was not very nice to our muscles and=20=

stress levels as voicing them down took for ever.
I personally think a 'firm' pressing for making Wurzen hammers may be=20
an option, depending on the felt thickness.
Some prefer too peel off felt where others want a ready cut hammer.=20
This requires a personal contact between the hammer maker and the=20
customer and the end product will thus grow in quality over time.
As Dale Erwin is, I think, the first American technician using Ray=20
Negrons Wurzen hammers, he should be the one to tell you how to voice=20
them because of the difference in voicing technique between the USA and=20=

Europe.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek