Hantavirus- Demousification

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Sat, 17 Apr 2004 23:22:19 -0400

Hi Joel and Thump,

OK, don't laugh...

Depending on how serious the hazard, how valuable the piano, how much
trouble the customer wants to go through, and what facilities are available
locally, you can have the entire piano sterilized with gamma irradiation.
(Don't worry.  It won't make the piano radioactive or anything.)  Steris
does a lot of this work.  In fact it's the usual way that medical supply
companies sterilize things like syringes, surgical instruments, etc.  They
just package everything in a nonsterile environment, box it, crate it, load
it onto flats, park the flats in a gamma irradiation warehouse, roll out the
cobalt-60, let sit, roll the cobalt-60 back in, and the sterilized flats are
ready to ship!  :-)  This method would involve a round-trip move, plus
sterilization cost.  My guess is a few hundred dollars for the whole thing.
Check http://www.devicelink.com/company98/cat/1263.html for a location near
you.

I actually tipped the Postal Service to this idea a long time ago, after
buying Steris stock.  The idea was that they could very cheaply sterilize
entire trucks full of mail, rendering any anthrax harmless enough to be
sprinkled on one's meal.  They opted for electron beam sterilization
instead, which is slower, costlier, and less effective.  :-(   (Go figure...
Hey, it's the USPS.)  Ah well, STE jumped up a tad anyway, and I made a
small profit for my trouble.

Peace,
Sarah