Hantavirus

Allan Gilreath agilreath@mindspring.com
Sat, 17 Apr 2004 22:36:26 -0400

Joel,

It's probably not safe enough but I go to lengths of wearing an
industrial grade dust filter, rubber gloves, etc.  Actually we could
probably get some really good ideas from Norman Cantrell since he's done
a class at the Institute several times on, "The Mouse and the Piano."
Sounds like a fable, doesn't it?  I'm sure he would have the best ideas
concerning this subject which could then be brought back to the list.

Allan
Allan L. Gilreath, RPT

-----Original Message-----
From: Joel Jones [mailto:jajones2@facstaff.wisc.edu]
Sent: Saturday, April 17, 2004 5:54 PM
To: Allan Gilreath
Cc: Pianotech
Subject: Hantavirus

allan
Saw your email in the archives about  hantavirus as I was searching for
info.  I just returned from a service call at a college to fix a
'sticking'
damper.  Instead I found a big mouse nest made of stringing braid, and
felt
bits from the action.

Have you been involved with cleaning  a piano after  a mouse has used it
for
his nesting?    What guidelines do you follow?

I know from past discussions not to turn on the vacuum.  Remove the nest
and
residue without raising any dust.    The article off the web advises
spraying with disinfectant.  After 30 minutes spray with 10% solution of
chloring bleach.  After 30 minutes wash with bleach or disinfectant.

This little fellow has obviously been all over the piano, so I suspect a
total GI cleaning is going to be necessary.

Thanks for input.

Joel
--
Joel A. Jones  RPT