New topic: Lifting the Strings

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Sat, 17 Apr 2004 09:08:30 +0200

Lifting the strings with a hook does not destroy as much the tuning as
15 cts in my experience if the strings have settled when it is done .

Actually, I more or less rely on my hammers strike plane to mate the
strings, one have to be confident with its filing technique to get
there. It does not avoid checking with a finger, or a little rule that
covers a few unisons (or have a look at the unavoidable slants with
the help of a bubble level)

a value of half these number seem more what I find.

I had a look at the "accoustimate"  device and I am tempted to build
one myself (it is sold 89 $ I guess, but with shipment costs it get
much more to get there) . Does someone have dimensions of the device ?
I also wonder if the roller can't be a little less large ? I guess it
is a polyurethane roller, that can be find in any specialized shop.
The squaring of the device may be important. I have seen stringers
using some square wood block with a handle (a big dowel) covered with
leather to straighten the large bends and at the same time warm the
strings a tad to begin to get the slack out, but this was done from
above, and it does not straighten very precisely the level.

Working from under with some light pressure should certainly prove
useful. and nowadays, using a good setup should provide some evenness,
that is very difficult to obtain with a hook, a rod or whatever,
particularly if the dampers are mounted.

The slant we find often in strings level is due to the fact the
agrafes or capo are not always at the same orientation than the
bridge, depending of the soundboard, the season, etc. Then if we check
the level behind the dampers we can see a tendency to slant ,while the
strings may well be level at the strike point. In short grand's we
even can't check the level from above in front of the dampers often.

Going one step farther, in some case to obtain a real level at the
strike mean that the strings have to slant some near the agrafes, to
compensate for an accentuated slant produced at the bridge. That mean
that the information given by the little brass rule or the bubble
gauge may be taken with a bit of salt, or decoded in regard of the
level at the bridge for instance.

So it is easier and faster to have mating done with the hammers as a
reference, using a little brass rule to keep the eventual tendency the
same direction (and avoid for instance to slant the strings plane in
every direction in case the strike level is not that perfect).

Then if one want to have the best and durable fit, one can go thru the
long process of leveling again and again, till the end of the
stringing process (before the dampers are mounted) till the string
plane is almost perfect at the strike, but as this is a temporary
state in some zone because of the soundboard shape changes with
seasons, one may not be too perfect on this part of the job I believe.
Knowing the model we are working on may also help.

Another thing goes in the equation , if it is a Steinway, the hammers
are not centered on the unison, but spaced 1-3 2/3 , then the left
side of the hammer wear faster, and mating have to be done more often
than one wish.

The same apply if the travel is not ideal .

Do some of you find that feeling with a finger the unison plane can be
misleading ? some time it confirm what the hammer or the ruler shows,
sometime the ruler shows a different height than I feel with my
finger. That is a mystery to me (I have a good sensitive finger , as
tested by a fingerologist each year to be sure, the curve actually is
pretty even without lack of sensibility in no regions ;>)

Best regards to all.

Have a nice week end.

Isaac OLEG