Grotrian lost it's singing tone

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 03:48:08 -0700 (PDT)

Kevin,
This too was found in my spam filter box. This is really getting frustrating. I've found over 40 messages in there in the last hour. Of course I had to read through the titles and senders from over 1000 to find them. Anyway thanks for the response.
I have done all of your suggestion except the deep needling which I was prevented from doing becuause the music director thinks he has a warrantee claim and is worried that we might void it. Thanks for the good advice!

Greg Newell

"Kevin E. Ramsey" <kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net> wrote:
"I think that the best way he recently described it to
me was an initial strong attack but an immediate drop in power with a less
than original sustain. "

You'll have to do some wire work here, lift up slightly on all the strings to remove the bend the wire makes as it makes the turn through the aggraffes and around the capo bar. Likewise, seat the strings on the bridge at the same time straightening the slight bend in the wire as it "rounds third base" going into the bridge pins. But most importantly, the hammers need more resilience in their shoulders, which you can insure by deep needling in the 1:30 to 3:00 o'clock areas.  Make sure all the strings are mated to the hammers. A strong attack followed by a quick decay usually means the hammers are too hard. It may be that the piano was just voiced by the dealer tech by doing some crown needling, and after a few days the effect of that has gone away due to the piano being played a lot.

This is, of course, assuming that something really hasn't happened with the board.

Kevin.