Grotrian lost it's singing tone

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 19:16:50 -0700

"I think that the best way he recently described it to=20
me was an initial strong attack but an immediate drop in power with a =
less=20
than original sustain. "

You'll have to do some wire work here, lift up slightly on all the =
strings to remove the bend the wire makes as it makes the turn through =
the aggraffes and around the capo bar. Likewise, seat the strings on the =
bridge at the same time straightening the slight bend in the wire as it =
"rounds third base" going into the bridge pins. But most importantly, =
the hammers need more resilience in their shoulders, which you can =
insure by deep needling in the 1:30 to 3:00 o'clock areas.  Make sure =
all the strings are mated to the hammers. A strong attack followed by a =
quick decay usually means the hammers are too hard. It may be that the =
piano was just voiced by the dealer tech by doing some crown needling, =
and after a few days the effect of that has gone away due to the piano =
being played a lot.

This is, of course, assuming that something really hasn't happened with =
the board.

Kevin.