Dithering hammers

Alan Forsyth alanforsyth@fortune4.fsnet.co.uk
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 23:35:39 +0100

Gordon Stelter wrote;

> > "P.S. I have 30 years' professional experience
repairing pianos. As the too wide let-off on this
piano ALSO exists on notes 1 and 88, which show no
sign of being played, I can only assume that this
"adjustment" was introduced in the factory in an
attempt to overcome the pre-existing problem as
described above." > >

You hit the nail on the head there Thump!  I have this problem with new
Yamahas and to tell you the truth, you either have to end up with zero
dithering hammers or an action with no power or dynamics. Compare the length
of the jack with that in the action of a piano a hundred years ago. You will
find that the modern actions have very short jacks. Now logic tells me that
the shorter the jack the less speed there will be at the tip of the jack on
let off; in other words the movement of the jack tip is much slower for the
same amount of leverage induced by the let off button. The hammer is
bouncing off the strings much faster than the tip of the jack is able to
escape from the clutches of the butt.  I never seem to have such problems
with large actions.

One other thing you might look at is the strength of the damper springs.
When they are new they are very strong
so much so that they may in fact be hindering the touch at the keystroke
i.e. slowing down the keystroke at the aftertouch stage.

Just some ideas.

AF