My most heartfelt thanks, BUT........( new Yamaha w/bobbling hammers)

Keith McGavern kam544@gbronline.com
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:54:40 -0500

At 9:50 PM +0200 4/13/04, Richard Brekne wrote:
>... 3.  Something is impeding the jack travel at the bottom of the keystrok=
e.

Ric,

One thing is for certain:
If this fellow can just take care of just one=20
note, C88, as he said it is doing it to, the=20
mystery will be resolved.

Setting aside for the moment that the action has=20
been damaged from a fall, or has been tampered=20
with, or has had the geometry off from the=20
get-go, I'm betting with "something is impeding"=20
something, that's for certain.

That 'something' could be:
1) the keyarm travel itself
(easing bushing/balance rail hole [like Andr=E9 mentioned], foreign object)
2) could be the wippen travel
3) the hammer shank, butt, spring travel
4) the jack lever, spring travel
5) the center pinning of the flanges

With any reasonable let-off/key height-dip/hammer=20
distance to strings/etc. regulation even close to=20
specs, and undue friction eliminated, C88 is=20
going to work just fine.

So the question is: Gordon, have you actually=20
checked and adjusted each of these items as=20
necessary for the one note, C88, to eliminate=20
friction and regulation as being the cause of=20
this bobbling?

While you, or anyone else, including myself, may=20
have lots of years' experience, that doesn't=20
negate the possibility of overlooking a=20
fundamental thing.

Sincerely,

Keith
--