"Bobbling" hammers on a new Yamaha U3. ( Please help! )

Tompiano@aol.com Tompiano@aol.com
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 08:38:11 EDT

Hi,
I've come a bit late in this thread and forgive me if this has already been
mentioned. But several years back I ran into something very similar and root of
the problem turned out to be that the piano was dropped during shipping, with
the piano falling backwards. Although there were not signs of external
cabinet damage, the action was grossly out of regulating. Turns out that the force
of the fall caused the hammer and wippen rail to bend towards the
string/soundboard direction, throwing everything out of regulation.
Check to see if the capstan alignment (to the wippens) is in anyway off it's
obvious position.
If that is the problem, the action rails will need to be physically bent back
to their original position.  According to Bill Brandom, this is a problem
they have experienced numerous times in the past.
Tom Servinsky