Rough Regulation"Here's some measurement I took"

Richard Snelson rsnelson0984@mchsi.com
Sun, 11 Apr 2004 22:25:16 -0500

Terry,=20
Bass height of strings: 8"
end of section: 7 15/16

Next: 7 11/16 to 7 11/16 all the way to the top of the treble.=20
I hope this helps. Also are you aware there are two setting for the =
action spread? Based on the year it was made. Hope this helps, Rich =
Snelson
Richard Snelson
rsnelson0984@mchsi.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, April 11, 2004 1:06 PM
  Subject: Rough Regulation

  To those not out on Easter Egg hunts:

  I replaced action brackets on a Young Chang small grand action. As =
expected, the regulation was way, way out of whack. I have no string =
height measurements. I wish to rough-regulate that action so that I =
don't have to do three days of regulating when I bring it back to the =
piano (which is 50 miles away).

  I'm guessing at string height by setting my let-off rack at the height =
where the hammer meets it and the shank is horizontal. I know that might =
not be exact, but it should be pretty close. Then I am roughing in key =
height/level (65 mm - spec is 64.5 mm), dip (10.2 mm), blow distance (47 =
mm) from manufacturers specs. The 10.2 mm dip gives me 1/16" let-off and =
0.025" after-touch (don't you like how I mix metric, english fractions =
and decimals together?). So that seems real nice. I also suggests I've =
got the action spread correct (113.5 mm). But what seems odd is the =
hammers at rest sit low. I've got the hammer rest rail plastered against =
the wippen flanges and the shanks just barely clear the rest rail felt. =
Also, to get the 10.2 mm dip, I have to remove all the punchings under =
the front rail felt. My guess is the ample punchings that were there =
were original - and presumably the action worked. Just seems like =
something is not quite right, and I'm not comfortable with such a =
divergence from what seemed to work originally. Am I perhaps giving the =
original manufacture of this piano (about 1990) too much credit - or am =
I missing something?

  Thanks for any thoughts.

  Terry Farrell