Rough Regulation

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Sun, 11 Apr 2004 12:33:18 -0600

  Hi Terry,
  Good approach.=20
  Also you should talk to "Jack" and let him tell you what he needs! "He =
can be a big help too in setting the unknown measurments.
  Joe Goss
  imatunr@srvinet.com
  www.mothergoosetools.com
    ----- Original Message -----=20
    From: Farrell=20
    To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
    Sent: Sunday, April 11, 2004 12:06 PM
    Subject: Rough Regulation

    To those not out on Easter Egg hunts:

    I replaced action brackets on a Young Chang small grand action. As =
expected, the regulation was way, way out of whack. I have no string =
height measurements. I wish to rough-regulate that action so that I =
don't have to do three days of regulating when I bring it back to the =
piano (which is 50 miles away).

    I'm guessing at string height by setting my let-off rack at the =
height where the hammer meets it and the shank is horizontal. I know =
that might not be exact, but it should be pretty close. Then I am =
roughing in key height/level (65 mm - spec is 64.5 mm), dip (10.2 mm), =
blow distance (47 mm) from manufacturers specs. The 10.2 mm dip gives me =
1/16" let-off and 0.025" after-touch (don't you like how I mix metric, =
english fractions and decimals together?). So that seems real nice. I =
also suggests I've got the action spread correct (113.5 mm). But what =
seems odd is the hammers at rest sit low. I've got the hammer rest rail =
plastered against the wippen flanges and the shanks just barely clear =
the rest rail felt. Also, to get the 10.2 mm dip, I have to remove all =
the punchings under the front rail felt. My guess is the ample punchings =
that were there were original - and presumably the action worked. Just =
seems like something is not quite right, and I'm not comfortable with =
such a divergence from what seemed to work originally. Am I perhaps =
giving the original manufacture of this piano (about 1990) too much =
credit - or am I missing something?

    Thanks for any thoughts.

    Terry Farrell