there's NO business like NO business

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Sun, 11 Apr 2004 21:37:51 -0500

Dave,

>Hooking up with a store is the best thing you could do right now.  I don't
>know if you have such a connection or not, but it's worth a try.  You will
>get floor tunings/repairs/regulations (for which you won't make squat but
>you might be able to buy a few groceries with it), but most importantly,
>you should get free tunings of pianos that the store has sold or
>rented(charge double your floor tuning rate or more) and private jobs
>referred to you from the store.  If the management is cool about it, you
>will not have to pay referral fees or give the store a cut on the private
>jobs, because you've given them good service for a cheap price.

I totally agree. That's where I got a LOT of my early training/experience,
whatever, about
30 yrs. ago. Fortunately, the dealer was also a tech, plus he had another
tech working out
of the store, so I always had help when I needed it!

>While I often whine about lack of prep of pianos by dealers, without the
>stores that I do work for, I'd be up an odiferous creek without means of
>propulsion.

So have I, but once in a while we get lucky and end up with a dealer who's
interested
in quality work and is willing to pay a fairly reasonable rate for it. I do
some work
for one now, when I can get away from the university. My income would be
appreciably
less if it weren't for him!

>Just an idea,

A good one!