there's NO business like NO business

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sun, 11 Apr 2004 20:27:53 EDT

In a message dated 4/11/04 4:15:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Tvak@aol.com
writes:

> Several of you have responded that if it weren't for rebuilding, store
> work, or other sources of income you don't know what you'd do...
>
> Of course, I have other sources of income.  But I entered into this
> pianotech thing with the assumption that one day I'd be able to make a living at
> tuning pianos.  Your responses lead me to believe that this may be more difficult
> than I first thought/hoped.
>
> I recall my first PTG meeting.  I attended the informal dinner before the
> meeting, and I asked everyone at the table, "Is there enough work out there for
> me, and for everyone?"  A resounding YES from ALL at the table was the
> response, and yet when the meeting began, the VP stood up (an outgoing jovial kind
> of guy) and called out to the membership, "How many here tuned a piano
> today?"  Half the room raised their hands.
>
> Half the room.
>
> "How many tuned two pianos today?"  Less than a dozen.
>
> "More than two?"  Maybe 4 or 5 guys raised their hands.  Out of maybe 35
> guys.
>
> It's times like this, when I have three tunings in three weeks, that makes
> me wonder if I've invested alot of time and money in a part-time job.

Tom,

The informal quiz taken by show of hands by your chapter VEEP may be
misleading.

First off, not all piano technicians have a desire to tune much.  Second,
some PTG members, at least in my chapter, are hobbyists and have no aspirations
to be more.

Hooking up with a store is the best thing you could do right now.  I don't
know if you have such a connection or not, but it's worth a try.  You will get
floor tunings/repairs/regulations (for which you won't make squat but you might
be able to buy a few groceries with it), but most importantly, you should get
free tunings of pianos that the store has sold or rented(charge double your
floor tuning rate or more) and private jobs referred to you from the store.  If
the management is cool about it, you will not have to pay referral fees or
give the store a cut on the private jobs, because you've given them good service
for a cheap price.

While I often whine about lack of prep of pianos by dealers, without the
stores that I do work for, I'd be up an odiferous creek without means of
propulsion.

Just an idea,

Dave Stahl