there's NO business like NO business

John M. Formsma john@formsmapiano.com
Sun, 11 Apr 2004 21:06:09 -0500

Tom,

Don't give up yet!

I've made a decent living doing tunings with some minor repairs. It takes
time to build up a business. You gotta do what it takes. I have to drive a
lot to get my business. Usually 25000 miles a year, 10 hour days, etc. But
if I didn't drive from where I live, I would have about 15 tunings a year.

Have you exhausted all possibilites? Gone to all the churches in your area
and told them you're giving an introductory price of half off your normal
rate for the first tuning?

Gone to the schools? What about asking the music director of the churches
you service if they have people in choir who have pianos? Offer them the
same reduced rate.

Pass out your business cards to everyone in sight. Get crazy with it!

What about talking with a busy tuner to see if you could do some work in his
shop, or help with any "junker" pianos he doesn't want to tune? You could
offer him half and he wouldn't have to even leave his shop!

Sounds like you just gotta get some cash flow and half of your usual rate is
better than nothing.

Man, I hate to hear about it - hope it gets better.

Regards,

John Formsma
  It's times like this, when I have three tunings in three weeks, that makes
me wonder if I've invested alot of time and money in a part-time job.

  Tom Sivak
  Chicago