there's NO business like NO business

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:53:55 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Tvak@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, April 11, 2004 7:14 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: there's NO business like NO business

List

Several of you have responded that if it weren't for rebuilding, store
work, or other sources of income you don't know what you'd do...

Of course, I have other sources of income.  But I entered into this
pianotech thing with the assumption that one day I'd be able to make a
living at tuning pianos.  Your responses lead me to believe that this
may be more difficult than I first thought/hoped.

I recall my first PTG meeting.  I attended the informal dinner before
the meeting, and I asked everyone at the table, "Is there enough work
out there for me, and for everyone?"  A resounding YES from ALL at the
table was the response, and yet when the meeting began, the VP stood up
(an outgoing jovial kind of guy) and called out to the membership, "How
many here tuned a piano today?"  Half the room raised their hands.

Half the room.

"How many tuned two pianos today?"  Less than a dozen.

"More than two?"  Maybe 4 or 5 guys raised their hands.  Out of maybe 35
guys.

It's times like this, when I have three tunings in three weeks, that
makes me wonder if I've invested alot of time and money in a part-time
job.

Tom Sivak
Chicago

            Tom,

            A few ideas

            The first  is to hook up with a piano store.

            Floor tuning, troubleshooting .In home service.etc.

            The pay is less than the work you'll generate on your own
but it's better than staring at the phone.

            Secondly, buy an old upright.

            Here in the Northeast they can be had either for free or a
few hundred bucks. Even with moving costs the right piano   can be
reconditioned and sold @ a decent

            Profit.

            Tom Driscoll