Rough Regulation

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 11 Apr 2004 16:06:24 -0400

Oops, sorry, sent that last one accidentally without posting anything!

> Prior to 1992 the action spread was 112.5 mm.

I really just guessed on the age - I forget when it was made. I gave Phil
Glenn the serial number and he said this one was a newer one with the spread
to be set at 113.5 mm. I also have one in my shop for brackets that is from
the '80s, and you sure are right, that one gets a spread of 112.5 mm.

> With the shank horizontal, that would be theoretical string height.
> Subtract your l/o distance from that.
> Just for fun, assume your string height as derived above.
> Measure hammer center height
> measure hammer blow
> Hammer Center Height + Hammer Blow = String Height
> By manipulating this equation you can ascertain whether the brackets
> require a shim underneath.

You get your theoretical string height from the horizontal shank, you
subtract blow distance, and you get where to set the hammer line. I don't
understand how this will tell you about shimming brackets. Maybe its because
I'm not sure exactly what "Hammer Center Height" is.

I set my bracket height by getting the two end brackets at the same height
(after first making sure they were the exact same size), and then using a
straight edge to set the two interior brackets. Although, this method does
not necessarily set the overall bracket height at some optimal level - it
just gets them the same and all in a line. Please explain more about how you
determine optimal bracket height - and really, rail height.

> Don't do much key leveling/dip work out of the piano.

I do, but I also understand your point. Sometimes it works well, and
sometimes I am disappointed.

> Jon Page

Terry Farrell