AB Chase Concert Grand

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 15:34:01 -0400

Comments interspersed below:

Terry Farrell

>     Vibrational energy is either reflected,
> transmitted, or absorbed by the materials it
> encounters. ( And when it is " absorbed", it becomes
> heat ).  In a  complex system, such as a  piano, all
> of these things are occuring simultaneously, all over
> the place, and I defy anyone to authoritatively state
> that they know exactly when and where this is
> occuring, to what degree, and in which frequencies!
>      But I am certain that SOME energy is transmitted
> to the board and thence the air ( becoming "sound" ).
> SOME  energy is absorbed by the softer portions of the
> piano, becoming heat.=20

Ok so far.

> And SOME energy escapes the
> soundboard via the rim-to-board glue joint,

Is much lost to a good glue joint? Maybe if it were falling apart.

> then
> travels around the rim wood to re-enter the soundboard
> at another point than its preferred point of entry,
> the bridge.

Now this is sounding like a marketing brochure with 8X10 color glossy =
photos with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one.

> Where, and how much, is determined by the
> vibration's frequency and the materials it encounters,
> IMHO.
>     If you read literature from the late 19th century
> you will see that Rosewood and Ebony were not just
> selected for case veneers because they were pretty.
> They were also selected because, being dense, they
> carried vibrations better than soft wood.  These folks
> were not stupid, and they understood that dense
> materials carry vibrations faster than soft materials.
> And what was not immediately transmuted into sound by
> the board they wanted to not escape the piano case, or
> be absorbed by it and transmuted into heat. So the
> cases were of hardwoods. And I am sure that you will
> agree that these pianos have a vital, "stirring"
> quality to their sound,=20
> lacking in other pianos.

Yeah, so they had massive hard-hardwood rims that effectively terminated =
the soundboard and tended to not dampen the soundboard. Do little =
vibrations really travel 'round and 'round and re-enter a soundboard?

>     You said that you liked pianos with ash beams. So
> do I. And the beams were built of ash because.......
> ???

I think I said I have a couple pianos with massive ash rims. Haven't =
seen too many ash beams/braces, although I can't imagine why ash would =
not make for a good beam. I think ash makes for a good rim because it is =
hard and massive, much like hard maple.