AB Chase Concert Grand

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 11:44:54 -0700 (PDT)

Dearest Terry whom I usually consider a "friend",
    Vibrational energy is either reflected,
transmitted, or absorbed by the materials it
encounters. ( And when it is " absorbed", it becomes
heat ).  In a  complex system, such as a  piano, all
of these things are occuring simultaneously, all over
the place, and I defy anyone to authoritatively state
that they know exactly when and where this is
occuring, to what degree, and in which frequencies!
     But I am certain that SOME energy is transmitted
to the board and thence the air ( becoming "sound" ).
SOME  energy is absorbed by the softer portions of the
piano, becoming heat. And SOME energy escapes the
soundboard via the rim-to-board glue joint, then
travels around the rim wood to re-enter the soundboard
at another point than its preferred point of entry,
the bridge. Where, and how much, is determined by the
vibration's frequency and the materials it encounters,
IMHO.
    If you read literature from the late 19th century
you will see that Rosewood and Ebony were not just
selected for case veneers because they were pretty.
They were also selected because, being dense, they
carried vibrations better than soft wood.  These folks
were not stupid, and they understood that dense
materials carry vibrations faster than soft materials.
And what was not immediately transmuted into sound by
the board they wanted to not escape the piano case, or
be absorbed by it and transmuted into heat. So the
cases were of hardwoods. And I am sure that you will
agree that these pianos have a vital, "stirring"
quality to their sound,
lacking in other pianos.
    You said that you liked pianos with ash beams. So
do I. And the beams were built of ash because.......
???
     Thump