Is my memory going?

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Thu, 08 Apr 2004 08:49:26 -0300

Hi List,

I went to an appointment the other day. When I went in the house, the
customer said, "you were the last one to tune it."

I said, I am sorry I don't remember. She said don't feel bad, it was 19
years ago. Ok, definitely too long. But..

This was a little old lady, who only used it to play for herself.
Sure, it should have been tuned sooner. Actually only two unisons were
really bad, and she said she still played it, and enjoyed it. It was down,
10c - 35c.

I got thinking, (I know something new), this is a situation, where calling
and recommending, a tuning every year or more, was not required.

I would feel bad, calling this woman regularly, and saying time to have your
piano tuned, and taking her money.

That is why I never call. I always let them call me.

If I was to call everyone, the year wouldn't be long enough to do them all.

I feel in some cases, calling people and doing there piano, on a frequent
basis, is unethical. Now I am talking of the little old lady, on a fixed
income, that only plays for her own enjoyment.  Not a situation, where a
child is taking lessons, or a serious player.

After a piano is stabilized, I see nothing wrong, with every 3 or 4 years,
for a tuning.

Any comments?

Regards
John M. Ross