AB Chase Concert Grand

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 14:02:13 -0400

Maybe another way to look at this is, instead of addressing what supports
string tension, is to ask what do the wooden beams/braces under the
soundboard do?

I'll stick my neck out and try to answer that question. Del, et. al., please
correct me if I am off-base on any/all of this.

I think the braces are mostly there for stiffening soundboard termination
components - the rim and bellyrail. (Actually, I think many are there for
marketing purposes.) Most rims, where they are curved, are relatively stiff.
But the flat bass side of bigger pianos and the belly rail of any piano will
commonly benefit from the installation of braces to stiffen these
components. The rim and belly rail need to be stiff (and massive) to
minimize soundboard dampening.

Better pianos will often have more, and more massive, bracing for the rim
and belly rail. Cheap little microgrands often do not have any braces. Now
these two pianos will have similar string tension (do you think the cheap
little microgrand has a stronger plate to support the string load all by
itself without being equipped with any braces?). Obviously you don't need
braces to support the string load. But one piano sounds better than the
other - perhaps, in part, because the better piano has a rim and belly rail
that is stiffened with braces.

On some pianos that are equipped with a horn, like the Steinway and Bear
Bros. (two horns!), the beams can also support a portion of the string load,
as Del pointed out.

Running For Cover,

Terry Farrell