Temperaments recording (was Re: temperaments)

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 09:11:08 -0700

Vinny Samarco writes:
>Being a pianist as well as a tuning student, I really wish I could hear some
>of these un-equal temperaments.  I have never been able to find recordings
>with these
>I mean, is it really true that different temperaments enhance for instance,
>various harmonies in the romantic period?
>Vinny

I'm surprised that Ed Foote didn't respond to this post.  Perhaps he
doesn't want to blow his own horn.  He has two recordings of
different temperaments on the same piano (not sure if it's the same
piano for both recordings, but the same piano for all of one
recording at least).  This is a very useful recording for getting
some sense of the differences in temperaments because there are
several temperaments all on the same recording, on the same piano,
with the same pianist, in the same venue.  There are many recordings
of pianos with non-ET temperaments (mostly older pianos or copies,
but also some modern pianos).  But I'm not aware of any other
recording where you can do the side by side comparison like this.

Those interested should contact Ed Foote directly :

A440A@aol.com

Happy Listening,

Phil Ford

PS  This calls to mind a recording that I got some time ago (don't
know if it's still available) called What about this, Mr. Clementi?
It was pieces played in the same hall, by the same pianist, on five
different concert grands: Steinway, Yamaha, Boesendorfer, Bechstein,
and Fazioli.  Unfortunately (or perhaps not, depending on your
viewpoint) he played different pieces on each piano that he thought
would showcase them.  I would have found the recording more
interesting if the same pieces had been played on each piano.