Walter Coupling Strap (was RE: AB Chase Concert Grand)

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 21:37:42 -0700

No, I don't seem to have any pictures of this little device. And that may
not be what they call it.

It is simply a steel strap (approx. 1" w x 5/8" thick) that extends from the
bottom of the plate at the bass/tenor "X" over to the top of the bellyrail.
Mostly it prevents the plate from drifting down as tension is applied to the
strings but it does couple some moderate amount of string load to the top of
the bellyrail directly in line with a bellybrace. Not as much as the
Steinway horn/wedge arrangement, but some. Most of the string load is still
born by the plate.

Del