Now OT: Non-ETs

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 16:04:17 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>I have absolutely no disagreement that the historical trappings are
>extremely relevant, important and valuable, and from that point of view
>the temperament is but one of the elements.

And I do agree that temperament IS one of the elements - perhaps that was
not clear from my post.

>My focus, however, is on the musical qualities in the various HTs, and
>these musical qualities are what a handful of excellent tuners and their
>clientele are currently exploring.

And I think that's an exciting thing.  And I'm thankful this forum and
resources like your website are making these tools more available.  I know
some of us (at least one of us) have been a bit slow on the uptake.

>  I thought that was what the discussion was about, which was expressed as
> "what Mozart was hearing". In that context, the other historical
> trappings are not relevant. I felt the tangent into coal lamps and
> powdered wigs was a teasing diversion.

It was teasing.  No offense intended.

>  (Of course, the older instruments also were strung at lower tensions,
> went out of tune more quickly, and presented a different inharmonic mix
> and shorter sustain than our pianos, and those differences may be very
> important to the feel of the temperament.)
>
>Takes a declaimer to know a declaimer. Thanks for calling me on that. /jason

Thanks for the post.

Regards,

Phil