AB Chase Concert Grand

Dean May DeanMay@PianoRebuilders.com
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 09:13:45 -0500

>From a structural standpoint, the beams go in the direction of the loading.
Think about how the strings are wanting to fold up the piano. That is what
the beams are resisting. So running a beam transverse to that direction of
frame more rigid, but it doesn't really need more rigidity in that
direction.

On nine foot pianos you will see some stubby beams like you are proposing.
There the beams are getting long enough that some extra lateral rigidity is
needed.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Cy Shuster
Sent: Monday, April 05, 2004 8:44 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: AB Chase Concert Grand

Phil,

No treble bell at all (picture of bracing attached).  I sure don't
understand what those things are supposed to do.  Why have that extra
support up front, and then leave practically the whole straight part of the
rim disconnected from everything?  The braces fan out, mostly parallel to
the strings.  Why not a short perpendicular brace to the middle of the rim?

My understanding of a ring bridge is one where the bass and treble sections
are connected with a short curved segment (like Shigeru Kawaii 9' grands).
On this one, the bridges are separate, but the bass bridge extends past the
lowest string about 5", curving back toward the keyboard.

--Cy--