Non-ETs; more organic than ET?

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sun, 4 Apr 2004 13:51:00 EDT

Greetings,
I wrote:
>   For some, (myself included), music is a spiritual activity and we pursue
>ways of making it more so.  It is a small step from the emotional to the
>spiritual world, and the spiritual world is a world which,  by definition,
the
>scientist is barred from entering.   >>

Don replies:

<< Please repeat that to Einstein? Hogwash Ed.

"After a certain high level of technical skill is achieved, science and art
tend to coalesce in esthetics, plasticity, and form. The greatest
scientists are always artists as well."
Albert Einstein

    Well, exactly what is the point here??   I don't see Einstein even
addressing spirituality in this quote!   It seems that Don is regarding spirituality
and art as interchangable terms.  I don't.  While I firmly believe that
craftsmanship can be taken to the level of art,(though some of my Fine Art
instructors vehemently disagreed with this in college) I do not automatically consider
an artist as a spiritual being.
    Even when Einstein states,
    "I assert that the cosmic religious experience is the strongest and the
noblest driving force behind scientific research."  we don't know what he means
by "cosmic religious experience".  However, if this is his take on
spirituality,  he is still not saying that science is able to enter the spiritual world.
 (and for the record, I don't think being religious automatically confers
spirituality...)

Since we have been treated to Einstein's words as a source, let us consider
these gems:

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
"
(In cruder terms, it has been asked "why do the heathen rage"?)

and in regard to science vs. spirituality:

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our
humanity."

Further quotes from Einstein:

     "Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which
differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even
incapable of forming such opinions."

      Any of us that have trumpeted the value of using a wide range of
temperaments have become accustomed to the "prejudices of our social environment".
However, my opinion is that it is valuable to become familiar with the
developement of temperament and the music that was composed with the various
permutations along the way.  Slings and arrows?  sure,  but I expected that.

  Albert again:
   "All that is valuable in human society depends upon the opportunity for
development accorded the individual."
     How much "opportuninty for development" is being encouraged by limiting
temperment use to one single form?  Does the young, growing musician get the
greatest opportunity for growth from a single tonal perspective?  I don't think
so.

I suppose my favorite on the list that Don posted links to is this one;

"It gives me great pleasure indeed to see the stubbornness of an incorrigible
nonconformist warmly acclaimed. "

   I don't mind being a nonconformist.  I can tune ET anytime I need to and
the whenever the $ituation calls for it.  I can also offer new perspectives to
musicians with the alternatives, and my experience has, so far, been a
rewarding one.  There is a tremendous sense of accomplishment when a piano owner
looks up from their newly well-tempered instrument and says "I have never heard
this piano sound so good!".   I no longer keep track of these epiphanies, but
they are a continuing source of joy in my work, and I am not alone in this.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT