kimball advice

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Sun, 4 Apr 2004 04:32:29 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed Carwithen" <edwithen@oregontrail.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2004 9:04 AM
Subject: kimball advice

 > Everything looks like it would work well if I just removed the key frame,
> clean underneath and replace it so that it is flat to the keybed.  Then
the
> keys should have proper dip, even if some adjustment with felts needs to
be
> done.

    Then DO that!  The trash isn't "factory" and it's not normal for the
keyframe to be sitting up off the keybed.  Vacuum, then tighten all the
keyframe screws, then shim or unshim rails as needed to get the right key
height and dip.
    Check the regulating rail (let-off rail) and make sure the buttons are
centered
over the jack tenders and that the screws are tight.

Should I just put in thicker balance rail felts to achieve the proper
> dip????

    No, unless it's really way too deep.  Regulate the action first (tighten
screws, check the blow, key height, lost motion, let-off, then see if the
dip is too deep).  If the punchings are original, it should be about right,
maybe a little deep in the middle where it gets played the most.  You should
only have to add paper punchings under the felt ones, unless they're really
deteriorated.  It was right or pretty close to right at one time.  Somebody
must've messed with it.  Do a little detective work, put things back the way
the factory had them, and the problem will probably make itself evident.
    --David Nereson, RPT