kimball advice

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Sat, 3 Apr 2004 08:39:36 -0700

Hi Ed,
Treat the problem like the only two correct things are the back rail =
cloth and the case parts relationship to the keys and shimmy shimmy =
shimmy until you get the correct dip.
If the key level is good shim evenly at the balance rail to keep the =
level and make other adjustments at the front rail to correct dip.
Are the keys warped from being outside?=20
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Dean May=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2004 8:21 AM
  Subject: RE: kimball advice

  I remember in the early days of working on pianos being leery of =
making these kinds of adjustments. Actually it turns out to be the =
easiest way to correct the kinds of problems you are facing. Don't =
hesitate to shim the balance or front rail (add or remove) to correct =
out of adjustment key dip, if the out of adjustment is pervasive to an =
entire section, as you are seeing. I cut strips of 3X5 cards for shim =
stock about =BD inch wide (you can use the previous tuner's card left in =
the piano in a pinch ;-) ). If you want to get tricky, you can raise the =
sharps only or the whites only by shimming the respective sides of the =
balance rail, instead of pushing the shim all the way through.=20

  =20

  Remember that generally you only need half as much on the balance rail =
as you do the front rail. One or two thicknesses of card stock on the =
balance rail will make a substantial difference.=20

  =20

  And generally, my experience, is that only the balance rail needs =
shimmed up. In your case, since it is happening in the middle, just shim =
at the bass break and the treble break. No need to shim at the ends if =
key dip is good there.=20

  =20

  Why does it happen? Who knows. Sagging, humidity, felt compression, =
poor factory set up, phase of moon change.

  =20

  Dean

  =20

  Dean May             cell 812.239.3359