Non-ETs; more organic than ET?

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Sat, 3 Apr 2004 17:30:02 -0700

Don, take a deep breath...  The real reason that some musicians, and =
technicians are again playing around with historical temperaments is =
because it is believed that some composers would choose a certain key =
signature because of the coloring that key would give the music that =
they wanted to convey to their listeners. Of course, truely equal =
temperament wasn't possible until the early 20th century, but that =
doesn't mean that one way is better than the other.  Now-adays I usually =
will offer my customers the possibility of having their pianos tuned in =
a historical temperament, but I won't even bring the subject up unless =
they're the kind of people who may be intrigued by the possibility.   I =
remember BB saying that he never ever tuned in ET, and I thought; "And =
his customers don't even know it....."    I assume that people want ET =
when they call me. =20
    I think you were a little offended by the reference to engineers. =
Without engineers, we'd still be living in the pre-industrial age and =
dying at the age of 35. There, feel better?

Kevin. =20

ET wasn't foisted upon the musical community by dastardly engineers,
politicians, or by divine decree; it was invented *by* musicians and has
been universally adopted because WE LIKE IT and because it solves the =
many
problems and limitations you experience if you don't use it.  I AM a
musician.  ET vastly simplifies music for us and lets us all play and
modulate with complete freedom.  Any other temperament is a gimmick, =
like
titanium golf clubs or a six-string bass guitar.  A $500 cue isn't going =
make you shoot pool any better and a fancy tuning isn't going to make =
you
sound any better.

Don