Yamaha Colsole, Sharps checking on trill with sustain pedal depressed.

Gholley237@cs.com Gholley237@cs.com
Sat, 3 Apr 2004 18:09:51 EST

Hello List.  Yamaha P22, Console, 270499, owner bought new from local
Mishawaka, IN., dealer three years ago.
Dealer sent a "tooner" to tune 1st time, and owner call her back for 2nd and
3rd tuning.
On 3rd visit, the owner asked the "tooner" why the sharps would "stick or not
return when a fast trill was played, with the sustain pedal depressed".
"Tooner" told the owner that Yamaha Consoles had this problem and said that it was
probably the front pin bushing being too tight.  (The problem does not
present itself when a trill is played and the sustain pedal is NOT depressed).

Anyway, the "tooner" took a thin steel blade, probabaly a machinist rule, and
jambed it down between the keys in the area of the front pins and moved it
back and forth saying that she was trying to free up the space in the area of
the pin bushings.
I wonder if this "tooner" even knows where the pin bushings are located,
surely not on the side of the key stick.

The "tooner" did not remove the key slip to look under the keys to see if
anything looked amiss.  "Tooner" could not resolve the problem and left.  Will
not return calls made to her.  Owner has called the dealer several times and the
dealer will not return the calls to address the warranty problem.

The owner got my name from another satisfied customer of mine and called me.
I looked at the piano this afternoon to play it my self and experience the
problem first hand.

Offending sharps are G#4, A#4, G#5, C#6, G#7.

Does anyone have some knowledge to shed on this problem and what to look for
and in what sequence.  What initially should I be looking for?

Many regards to all.

Gordon Holley
Associate Member
Goshen, IN