Non-ETs; more organic than ET?

Dean May DeanMay@PianoRebuilders.com
Sat, 3 Apr 2004 15:33:19 -0500

This is a fascinating discussion. I have never paid much attention to WT
before, but am anxious to try it on my daughter's piano and have her play me
some Mozart.

Looking at my RCT tools, I find a couple dozen different WTs. How does one
select which one to use?

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of David M. Porritt
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2004 2:18 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Non-ETs; more organic than ET?

From: "Don A. Gilmore" <eromlignod@kc.rr.com>
--- big snip ---

>Ever since ET was instituted, musicians (who are not always the most
>scientific lot) have heard that it "compromises" the pure, sonorous musical
>intervals.

--- big snip ---

Engineers (who are not always the most artistic lot) tend to think that if a
temperament can be constructed with a rational number it must be right.
However, if one wants to hear what Mozart was hearing you can't use ET.  Of
course hearing what Mozart heard might not be important to you, but if it

dave