Non-Equal Temperaments

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 3 Apr 2004 11:45:54 +0200

Hi Conrad and list,

Let me state here again that I spoke of an open mind and my love for=20
music with totally different scales, especially from Arab countries,=20
India and the far East.
Furthermore I am trained in listening to so called 'modern music'=20
because my wife is a professional composer in contemporary music, in=20
which she sometimes uses quarter tones and electronics, and I also have=20=

played, and all the time listen to, progressive jazz for a long time.=20
In other words : my mind and my ears are used to 'listening'.
Furthermore, I have more than once spoken of my wish for tolerance in=20
general, so if anybody wishes to use new or unknown tunings and bring=20
his or her experience under our attention, I think it would be of great=20=

value for all and a fine inspiration for our already so exciting=20
profession.
I just gave my opinion about a tuning I heard in Bergen, Norway, of=20
which Richard Brekne told me that it was a BB tuning (I am very=20
convinced it was a BB tuning and not something else) I did not like it=20=

and I had actually a more or less strong opinion, because it sounded=20
really chaotic and un-harmonious. Richard Brekne is a more than=20
outstanding tuner so my reaction was not due to sloppy work or=20
whatever.
I actually think it is very interesting that the concept of tuning in=20
different scales is on the move and developing further, and of course=20
music is in the ear of the beholder, so to speak.
It is necessary to move on, just as it is necessary to develop new=20
music. The half empty concert halls, when classical music is played, is=20=

an alarming sign and although most of us love 'the classics' I=20
sometimes do get tired a bit of hearing Schubert for the umpteenth=20
time.
Personally, I don't think I am ready to change my ET-mode because of a=20=

very simple reason : I am now 55 and was trained to a probably=20
premature death in ET.
I more than adore my VT, and I have been able to switch from daily=20
multi-tuning to an average of 1 tuning a day because regulation and=20
voicing work became prevalent.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek