Non-Equal Temperaments

Fri, 02 Apr 2004 14:18:40 -0600

André,

At 21:48 4/2/2004 +0200, you wrote:
>On 2-apr-04, at 21:26, Conrad Hoffsommer wrote:
>>There is more "wiggle room" in equal temperament than in a temperament
>>which uses pure intervals.
>
>Yes Conrad, I believe you blindly......
>But I noticed that in un-ET tunings, there were intervals, right from the
>beginning, that made me softly whisper for imodium, if you sort of know
>what I dare to mumble about in your company.

I _do_ know what you mean...

No scatological reference to be inferred, but unequal temperaments are an
acquired taste. ;-}

Your extensive concert work in ET has your ear extremely conditioned to
hearing intervals sound in a certain consistent way.  Any inconsistencies
which the unequal temperaments naturally (and by definition) employ do not
sound good to you and make you wish for a pharmacological remedy.

Non-ET users revel in the inconsistencies which create a different
character to each key.

Have a great weekend, I'm oudda here...

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

---Wm. Shakespeare - Merchant of Venice