Non-Equal Temperaments

Fri, 02 Apr 2004 13:26:02 -0600

Corte,

>On 2-apr-04, at 15:48, Corte Swearingen wrote:
>>Hello List,
>>
>>My question is this.  I'm wondering if unequal temperaments tend to sound
>>like they are going out of tune quicker than equal temperament.  My
>>reasoning is that if some of the notes are already altered from equal
>>temperament, isn't there less of a "window" of pitch shift before the piano
>>starts to sound out of tune?  Does this seem to be a valid question and/or
>>concern?

Unequal temperaments frequently have PURE fifths, fourths and/or
thirds.  Therefore, if the tuning starts to slip and one of these pure
intervals is beating, it is IMMEDIATELY recognisable as being out of tune.

No ifs, ands, or buts.  It _is_ or it _isn't_ PURE.

Also, that pure interval is frequently the other side of one which is real
close to being a "wolf".  One common note slipping can not only "temper" a
pure interval, but create a REAL nasty interval out of one which had been
only borderline nasty.

Tempering is controlled mis-tuning.  In equal temperament, NOTHING is pure
except unisons.  Not even octaves - take your pick... 2:1, 6:3, 4:2   They
are all different.

Can you listen to a major third which theoretically should beat at 9.7, but
happens to be beating at 9.6 or 9.5, and IMMEDIATELY tell that it is slow
without a machine or using several checks?

There is more "wiggle room" in equal temperament than in a temperament
which uses pure intervals.

My 2.1¢ - readily discernable from 2.0¢

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

---Wm. Shakespeare - Merchant of Venice