Non-Equal Temperaments

antares antares@euronet.nl
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 19:07:11 +0200

On 2-apr-04, at 15:48, Corte Swearingen wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> I have a beginner's question regarding unequal temperaments.  I own a
> Verituner and have been using the Coleman 11 temperament for a while. =20=

> don't have a lot of experience with too many alternate temperaments =
but
> I've heard a lot of good things on the Coleman 11 so I've just been=20
> using
> it as my temperament of choice.
>
> My question is this.  I'm wondering if unequal temperaments tend to=20
> sound
> like they are going out of tune quicker than equal temperament.  My
> reasoning is that if some of the notes are already altered from equal
> temperament, isn't there less of a "window" of pitch shift before the=20=

> piano
> starts to sound out of tune?  Does this seem to be a valid question=20
> and/or
> concern?

To me, it would seem that an unequal temperament will go sour sooner=20
than an equal temperament.
If for instance an equal tempered 4th or 5th goes 'out' a little, we=20
immediately can distinguish a difference : it sounds more=20
'contaminated'.
I am sure that a non-equal temperament could be highly interesting and=20=

beautiful, but to tuners and customers who are used to ET this is=20
always a little bit of a problem.
I suppose listening to non ET tunings requires first of all an open=20
mind, and to be able to have an opinion about it one has to have a=20
trained ear.
I personally am not involved in unequal temperaments, but I very much=20
like Arabian scales, Indian music and music from the far East.
I guess I am more or less susceptible to music/scales from 'other'=20
cultures, but I am not trained in tuning unequal tunings.
Some time ago I was in Bergen Norway and Richard Brekne, who lives and=20=

works there, asked me to listen to a Bill Bremmer tuning he had just=20
tuned.
I played the instrument for a bout a minute and told Richard that to me=20=

it sounded awful to me and that it sounded like it was in need of a=20
tuning.
It means that a. people used to ET may have a problem with un-ET, and=20
it could also be that when an un-ET tuning goes off, it will only cause=20=

more 'problems'.
I am pretty of that anyway.
friendly greetings
from