CA oops/syringe alternative

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 10:33:49 EST

In a message dated 3/30/04 8:57:41 PM, alanforsyth@fortune4.fsnet.co.uk
writes:

> By the way. a syringe doesn't seem to last very long
> while using it to apply CA.

I learned this from someone on the list, a while back:
I cut a plastic straw, like from McDonalds's, to about 3 inches in length.
Next, I use a razor to cut a slit in it lengthwise.   Then I cut one end so
that it is V shaped instead of square (The V forming a point).   You can insert
the point of the V end of the straw right up against the tuning pin, and drip
the CA into the open slit, and it goes right down like rainwater down a little
trough. If you apply it to the key side of the piano, there's usually a
little gap created by the string tension pulling the pin in the other direction.
I'm amazed sometimes at how much CA will go down that little gap.

When I'm done, I just throw the straw away.

The only negative is that the fumes REALLY come up at ya, probably much more
so than if you used a syringe.