RC vs CC again

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:10:35 -0500

>Ron,
>
>Thanks for you comments.  I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by
>panel supported.

Compression crowned is panel supported. Rib crowned can be either rib
supported, or a combination of rib and panel supported in any proportion.
Rib crowned and supported is just that, with the panel offering little if
any support.

>  Why would you categorize a panel that has not been severely dried, and
> to which crowned ribs are attached, as primarily panel supported?

It depends on the dimensions and crown of the ribs, and how do you know
what the panel was dried to? If a soundboard is made with crowned ribs that
by themselves aren't stiff enough to support string bearing and still
retain crown, and the panel wasn't dried down enough to supply bearing
support when it rehydrates, then not much of anything is supporting crown
against string bearing load. If you are going to have crown remaining under
bearing load, it has to come from either the ribs, panel expansion, or
both. If the math says the ribs aren't doing it, it pretty much has to be
coming from the panel.

For instance, Yamahas are rib crowned, but an analysis of the bearing load
the ribs are carrying will show that the ribs can't support the load
imposed on them without the panel compression carrying a large percentage
of the load. Bending force in the panel cross grain is NEVER significant to
crown to my knowledge.  That's why I make the distinction between rib
crowned, and rib crowned and supported.

Ron N