Voicing an lold piano/Corte/Carl Meyer

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:42:20 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Garrett" <joegarrett@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2003 6:28 PM
Subject: Re: Voicing an lold piano/Corte/Carl Meyer

> Carl said: "Corte:  Here's something you can try first.  Loosen the tuning
> pin a half
> turn.  Pound on the key hard a few times.  Then retune and check.
Sometimes
> a big improvement.  If not, take off hitch pin and roll over a pulley of
> about 3-4 inches diameter (depends on diameter) to the end and try that.
> You could also just massage the string by bending to and fro every 2-3
> inches to break out the corrosion.  After loosening of course.  Then twist
> and reconnect.   Don't be afraid to use 2-3 turns.  What have you got to
> lose.  Sometimes nothing works.  It usually doesn't last long either.
> Bummer!
>
> I once had a 7 ft grand with new bass strings that were disappointingly
> dead.  Actually just sick.  Three full turns did wonders.  Consider the
> length of the string when deciding how many turns.  Also make sure they
are
> twisted in the direction of the wrap.  We've all made that mistake."
>
> Carl,
> Have you lost it?!!!

I have't even found it yet

Your suggestion to "...roll it over a 3-4 inch
> pulley....", will most certainly loosen the windings!!!! That's exactly
the
> opposite of what we are trying to accomplish! Taking a string off the
hitch
> pin and putting a loose loop in it, then running the "loop" up and down,
the
> full length of the string, will accomplish getting the crude out of the
> sting and making the windings more flexible, (which is what "roll & twist"
> really does).

Yes, 3-4 inches is probably too small.  This crude crud you speak of making
the windings more flexible, where does it go (the crud)?  And having
wqindings more flexible is not what we want either I think.  Wouldn't that
eliminate the higher harmonics?  If we can bow the windings and have it hug
the core closer then we should have better highr harmonics.

> Next you suggest twisting the sting 2-3 full turns! Yikes! If a string
needs
> that many turns, it is an incorrectly made string!

Agreed.  I got the idea that new stings were not an option.  Remember this
was new strings put on a 7 ft piano.  I won't mention the string maker.
Three turns saved the day.  I was ready to spring for at least new (another
winder) unichord double wound but the three turns saved the day.  Of course,
not perfect but I got a good price for the piano.  I didn't feel I needed to
feel guilty about the way it sounded.  All things considered, I no longer
make a career out of each piano I work on.

I don't like to approach a vast problem with a half vast soution.  Your
mileage may vary.  Regards

Carl Meyer Ptg assoc
Santa Clara, Ca.

 Too many "twists" will