Hide Glue Source...was Cleaning glue pots

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 18:46:01 -0700

Joe,
What is your source for GOOD glue? Pearl seems to be the most readily
available on this side of the Pacific (and seems to do the job). Another
easily available is 'Rabbit-skin glue' (from art supply shops). It comes as
a fine powder. Is this good for anything pianoish?

Scott Jackson
Wollongong, Australia

Scott,
1. Rabbit Skin Glue is not suitable for piano work. I've tested it and found
it to be unsuitable. It's made to make painting canvasses stiff. Any
"gluing" ability is real questionable. <G>
2. I get the very highest grade glues from: Milligan & Higgins
                                                                P.O.Box 506,
Maple Avenue
                                                                Johnstown,
NY, 12095
                                                             Attention: Jay
                                                             (518) 762-4638
You have to order it in minimum orders of 50 pounds plus a deposit for the
shipping barrel.
The one glue that I have in stock/shop is called 3X-Chrome Glue. They, (the
last I checked), still have some in stock. However, the key word, here, is
"Chrome"! Once their supply is exhausted, that will be it for that type of
glue. I'm sure the EPA or some other bureaucratic tree-hugger is responsible
for that situation, as I suspect the manufacturing process uses Chromium, in
some way. They do have many other grades and most are of the highest
quality. The next time I've got $300.00 to invest I'll be ordering a barrel
of the next highest grade. I do have it available to techs. However, I don't
know what the miles of beaurocratic hoops I'd have to jump through to get it
to you, would be. (sorry for the weird sentence!<G>) I'd be more than happy
to sell you some of the 3X-Chrome, in 1# packages, if I don't have to get
nuts with the paper work!<G>
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police