RC vs CC again

Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:59:19 -0700

Phil:

I am curious how the RC boards you heard were set up with respect to
hammers.  I do agree with Robin H. that the hammer style and even the shank
is and can be critical to the type of tone and color that will be produced.
I have had experiences with changing original shanks to Renner (keeping
original hammers) on an older Steinway and noticing a difference in
tone--so did the customer, by the way.  With the current trend toward
putting hard hammers such as Abel or Renner on rebuilt NY Steinways, how
much do you think the hammer may have contributed to the fact that you were
not wowed by these instruments.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net