Voicing an old piano

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:36:24 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of cswearingen@daigger.com
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2003 12:57 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Voicing an old piano

Hello List,

I have a client that has an old Raymond upright.  It's about 75 years
old
but it still plays reasonably well.  I wanted to get some advice on
voicing
the hammers in this piano.  I've already filed all the grooves out of
the
hammers, shaped them and shined them up all purdy like with hi-grit
sandpaper.  This helped the tone quite a bit but there is still a long
way
to go.  This is where I need your advice.  The bass sounds quite tubby
and
as you move up into the tenor and high treble, the sound just gets
brighter
and harsher.  The owner actually likes the brash sound in the treble so
wanted to bring up the bass a bit so it doesn't sound so muddy and
matches
up somewhat better to the tenor area.

So, what should I do here?  I'm thinking because the strings are 75
years
old, a large part of the problem is there.  Restringing is not an option
here but do you think I can juice up the hammers enough to make a
difference?  I have a solution of acetone/keytop and was just thinking
of
using a few drops on the crown of the bass hammers.  I know that this
probably wouldn't be the way to treat new hammers but what about old
worn
out hammers.  I'm thinking this may be all I need to bring 'em up a bit.

Any comments would be welcome.

Thanks,

Corte Swearingen
Chicago

Corte,
	Before juicing up the hammers try twisting the bass strings.
Start with the worst offender to experiment. 75 year old bass strings
are almost always tubby and twisting can be an improvement. Be aware
that the tuning pins will be less tight after doing this and string
breakage @ the tuning pin can occur. Correct regulation, stable action
centers and A440 pitch contribute to improved tone also, but I'll bet
those strings are the issue.
	Good luck,
	Tom Driscoll RPT