Emergency Tuning

Ken Gerler kenneth.gerler@prodigy.net
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 07:47:14 -0500

Kevin, Joey & List,

I remember a tuning several years ago at the dedication of the Scott Joplin
House here in St. Louis. It was in October. The plan was to have the evening
dedication program outside on a Wurlitzer spinet which I had tuned for the
afternoon program. It was turning colder than they expected. Hours before
the concert start time I suggested they let me get the James & Holmstrom
Cabinet Grand Tuned in the upstairs recital room ready just in case.
Wel.l.ll, they waited until about an hour before the scheduled concert time
and then said - GO.

Someone had "repaired" the action and one whippen/hammer assembly was not
geometrically correct - to play the particular note required a "sledge
hammer blow" to get response from the note/key. Needless to say the concert
was delayed in starting as I took my time. As the piano needed a pitch raise
and regulation besides - the concert started about 1 1/2 hours late.

Ken Gerler