Compression Ridges and Hide Glue/Thumper

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 28 Sep 2003 23:40:11 -0700

Thumper said: ".
     And I have seen where the pneumatic cloth has
crept ( at 1/1,000,000,000,000 mph ) on its hide glue
base in pianos that have no other apparent humidity
damage.
     Respectfully,
     Thump"
Was this on the pueumatics you did or on an olde system? I suspect an olde
system. What ya need to know is that many manufacturers used a cheaper glue,
called Fish Glue. That stuff will do exactly as you describe. At least that
has been my experience. If you use the highest grades of Hide Glue, you will
not have problems. Two problems encountered by many, I've seen:  1.
incorrect heat in the pot=Get a thermometer! 2. Cheaper quality glues that
defy you to get it right=Get The Good Stuff! (I've got it. Few others do!)
Best Regards,

Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I