Tormek Touchup

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 27 Sep 2003 19:08:51 -0500

>Tuesday, my new Tormek sharpening system should arrive. One thing I have
>not figured out yet is a fool-proof way to touchup the edge on a blade -
>chisel, plane, whatever. Is there any way to index the position of the
>blade in its holder so that one can reproduce the exact angle to the
>grindstone. Or is most touchup done by hand on the leather wheel? Often I
>can avoid running over a nail or whatever in my work with my planes, and I
>don't often really need to start with 220 grit. I'm talkin' touchup here.
>I need something dummy-proof (or talent-less-proof).
>
>Terry Farrell

Sure. Own fifteen of everything and just swap tools instead of touching up,
then stop and resharpen all fifteen at once. I find that keeping a
medium-fine grit diamond "stone" close by makes for a quick and handy
freehand touch up as necessary without having all those identical tools
lined up in the way. Chisel or knife in one hand (I don't use planes that
often), stone in the other, and in about ten seconds, I'm back in business.
I never liked using rouge polished edges. I find them too slippery. I like
a little tooth to my edge for better bite and, for me, control.

Different strokes.

Ron N