Wurlitzer piano.

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 27 Sep 2003 06:19:58 -0400

First a disclaimer - I'm no tuning expert! BUT, that doesn't stop me =
from sharing my experience!

I have tuned a number of these little five octave wonders - one just a =
couple weeks ago along the banks of the flooding Little Manatee River =
(inside a home). I don't recall ever seeing a Wurly though. The ones I =
have seen seem to have the top and bottom octave chopped off the =
keyboard, which puts A4 in the middle of the piano and C7 at the very =
top. The highest pitch wound string is probably around A3. One of the =
reasons the bass on your piano may be all over the place is because =
there is not really anywhere to put the bass. I am a "little-black-box" =
tuner. My first 5-octave pianos were done with the aid of an AccuTuner. =
With the SAT you must lend quite a bit of ear to establish an =
appropriate stretch for the bass. Coupled with my general lack of talent =
related to such a process, trying to determine where the bass should go =
on the 5-octave jobs was a very eye-opening (and ear opening) =
experience. I have tuned a few spinets that I would consider untunable. =
However, these little 5-octave jobs require a whole new classification. =
The bass section on some of these (all?) are much worse than untunable. =
Just get it within a note or so and leave it (slight exaggeration, but =
not by much). That's as good as it's gonna get.

I have tuned two (at least) of these little gems with my Verituner which =
I have now had for about 1.6 years. The VT does an unbelievably =
wonderful job on these little things. Overall I would have to describe =
its effect as producing an "acceptable" tuning - which is WAY beyond =
anything I had ever done on these little pianos.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----=20